Sunday, August 4, 2013

Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

Wow, it has been 4 months since I last posted... Sorry friends! Life has been crazy lately. In the months since I last wrote, I finished my last semester of coursework for my doctoral degree, moved, and started a full time internship! Recently in our produce co-op we received patty pan squash. I had no idea what to do with these cuties so one night I created this recipe to use them up. If you like these, check out my Stuffed Acorn Squash and Paleo Stuffed Zucchini



  • 6-8 patty pan squash
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage
  • 1 onion, peeled and quartered
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 cups spinach, washed
  • 1 cup cooked rice

Wash and dry the squash. Trim away any blemishes and any woody areas at the stem end. Poke holes in each one with a fork or knife and place them in the bottom of a small casserole dish. Bake the squash in a 350 F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you can pierce them easily with a fork.


In the meantime, prepare the stuffing. Using a food processor, combine the onion, carrot, and spinach. Pulse until finely diced. 



In a large saute pan, brown the meat. Stir in the vegetables. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes, then add the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. 


When the squash is cooked, cut in half and remove seeds. 




Fill softened squash with mixture and return to the oven for about 30 minutes or until mixture is brown and cooked through. 



Serve immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment