Sunday, April 17, 2011

Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches (8 Points+)

This is a CROCK POT recipe I got out of a cheap meals magazine.  I'm re-posting it here since it is fast, easy, cheap, and not so bad on the Points+ values. 

2 lbs boneless pork shoulder roast (if you cannot find boneless, buy more than 2 pounds and then cut the bones out)
1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
6 ounces chili sauce (I used Valentina since the description for "chili sauce" was so vague)
1/2 cup coke
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt
black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 whole wheat hamburger buns (I used Nature Own Whole Wheat for 3 Points+ each)

Trim fat from meat (and bones if it isn't boneless).  In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine meat and onions.  In a small bowl, combine chili sauce, coke, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, vinegar, cumin, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper.  Pour over meat mixture.  Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 12-13 hours or high-heat setting for 6- 6 1/2 hours.  

Transfer meat to a bowl and shred with two forks.  Add remaining liquid and onions to bowl and stir to combine.  

Toast buns and top with 1/8 of meat mixture.  I prefer to weigh my meat after it cooks so I can portion out the servings by weight.  

8 Points+ per serving.  Sometimes I will eat half of a bun to conserve points+.  1/2 a bun is 1 point+ so the total is 6 points+.
$1.33 per serving*.  
*This does not reflect the cost of the mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar or spices due to the fact they were already in my pantry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment